A Letter From Mount Airy, NC

1045 West Virginia Street
Mount Airy, North Carolina
March 2, 1964

Sam J. Ervin, Jr.
United States Senate
Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. Senator:

I am writing this letter as I am very interested in the passing of the Civil Rights Bill, and would be glad if you would give this Bill your full support.

I have wondered what is  it that makes us so different in America, we talk democracy but for some reason we fail to live it, but we as Christians, I am sure are going to do everything we can to bring “God’s kingdom on earth as it is in heaven”. Lets go back a few years, say, in 1939 there was a call for help to fight for democracy, and was not just for white alone, but, it was to everybody. Our black boys fought with the same favor and zeal as anybody. I had five (5) songs on the battle field in World War II, and many a night my pillow was wet with tears and prayers were prayed for their safety, but now my tears are for these boys and girls who feel like they have to demonstrate in the streets and be clubbed and bit ten [sic] by dogs in an effort to get the Civil right their fathers, brothers and uncles died for.

God said vengence [sic] was his, he would repay, but would be glad to see mankind have enough God in heart that all men would be treated equal in all situations. There will be a time when we will all be as one in either heaven or hell and I am sure there will be all races in both places.

Please give this letter your spiritual consideration I am sure if you do you will remember that Christ told his disciples to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, strength and mind and thy neighbor as they self, and lest we forget, God considers the Negro your neighbor.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely Yours,

(Mrs.) Smithie Reynolds

[Transcribed by Aly Helms]